Sunday, July 22, 2007

A stapler device

It’s a good opportunity to see different type of medical devices in the OR. I thought a needle was a must when closing a wound, but I was wrong. A surgical stapler makes the anastomosis easy and fast.

A Transverse Anastomosis stapler (TA) is such a device that closes the bowel lumen while the dissection and excision of the specimen are in progress. The underneath picture is a sample of TA.



It’s very easy to use this devise. Basically, the doctor first puts the jaw of stapler gun at the right position. Of course this is the most important step. Fully squeeze the handle to load the staples, and fully squeeze the handle again to fire the staples. I think even myself can conduct these three steps as long as I know where to put the jaw.


Actually, the jaw is the magic part. It contains one double staggered row of titanium staples. After the staples are fired, the hook up area will look like this.


There are also some other features of this stapler gun. The staple unit can be replaced. It can be reloaded 7 times for a total of 8 firings. Safety Lockout prevents an unloaded or improper loaded stapler gun to be used. For me, it is really amazing to see how the mechanics can be applied to facilitate the surgical operation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this great tutorial! Thought I might share this website I came accross which I found very useful: http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-manufacturer/stapler-6723.html